Location: Maxwell Road, Singapore
History: With rapid urban development and growth in the late 19th and early 20th century, the colonial government saw the need for the regulation and control of traffic to the Tanjong Pagar area, which had become the centre of Singapore’s early development. A formal Traffic Police department was thus set up in 1926, with its building completed in 1929. In the 1930s, the headquarters serves as both the living quarters and office for the traffic police officers. The building serves as the traffic police HQ till 2005, when it was converted to be the Red Dot Traffic Museum.
With restoration works underway, the building will soon be part of Maxwell Chamber and will house offices related with arbitration and legal services.
Architectural Design: Neo-Classical Design
Scope: MAEK Consulting was involved in the Addition and Alteration (A&A) works, providing consultancy for material testing and evaluation for the restoration work. Restoration of the building and different architectural features was crucial for the works, and repair methods and products were carefully selected for the restoration works. Material testing and evaluation was conducted to determine condition of heritage finishes, to ensure suitability of repair methods and appraise effectiveness of restoration works.